Mike is a career U.S. Marine, certified running coach, and personal trainer, with experience training and coaching athletes of all ages. He has been involved in health and fitness since 1999, beginning as a personal trainer while attending college at Georgia Southern University. He soon joined the Marines and in his spare time, worked as a fitness boot camp instructor at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) while attending college at The Citadel. He has lead numerous large group exercise sessions in a rigorous physical fitness program. Mike has spearheaded several fitness-based fundraising efforts and most recently ran a 24-hour ultramarathon in memory of LtCol “Otis” Raible. Mike believes in helping athletes train smarter to become healthier individuals for life while achieving better performance. Mike lives in Kansas City and is an avid runner, father of three, and devoted husband.
I take a holistic approach to training, considering each athlete as an individual with unique abilities, limitations, goals, socio-economic factors, emotions, stressors, and challenges. Training comprises all of the aforementioned considerations, and more. Therefore, each training program is different, being designed for a custom fit every time. Training plans are only the starting point to be used as a baseline from which to deviate, requiring continuous adjustment and adaptation to changing circumstances. I believe there is an inseparable connection between the body, spirit, and mind, and that you must care for each of them to attain true fitness. As a coach, I am a partner and teammate, and a leader. I believe in enjoying the process as we train. There are no finish lines, only new beginnings for the next chapter of our journey. I believe that injuries are opportunities to learn, and that with proper handling, make athletes stronger and more resilient. Communication and consistency are the two most important keys to success in the athlete/coach relationship.
- Certified Running Coach (RRCA) Level 1 (currently working on Level II).
- Certified Running Coach (UESCA).
- Track & Field Coach (USATF Level 1).
- Elite Trainer with the International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA).
- Specialist in Fitness Nutrition (ISSA).
- Youth Fitness Trainer (ISSA).
- Specialist in Strength & Conditioning (ISSA).
- Certified CPR/AED/First Aid (American Red Cross).
- B.A. Political Science, The Citadel, Charleston, SC.
- M.S. Information Technology, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA.
*Mike proudly leads the middle pack.
- 2013: 10th overall, Torreya State Park Draggin Tail Ultra Challenge – 50k (6:32:39)
- 2015: 10th overall, Pacifica Foothills Trail Run 30k (3:08:41)
- 2015: 7th overall, Ft Ord Trail Run – 50k (5:07:12)
- 2015: Big Sur International Marathon (3:54:47)
- 2015: San Francisco Summer Solctice 24 Hr Endurance Run (80.6mi)
- 2016: 15th overall, Ft Ord Trail Run – 50k (5:22:46)
- 2016 : Big Sur International Marathon (4:04:33)
- 2016: 17th overall, Alternate Chili Ten Mile Trail Run (1:32:46)
- 2017: Kansas City Marathon (3:33:47)
- 2018: MURCA 50K (4:59:40)
- 2018: 12th overall, Heartland 50 miler (10:54:30)